Due to a combination of injuries, unavailability of players and wanting to see the new signings, the coaches named an experimental starting side which included just 7 who played AIL for Dolphin last year. Dolphin hit the ground running quickly.

An interception by Cam O’Shaughnessy led to a lineout 10m out, a good drive by Dalton O’Shaughnessy gave Craig O’Connell the opportunity to score the opening try which was converted by Conor Flanagan.

Following two penalties, Old Crescent crossed for a try from Cathal O’Reilly, converted by Ronan McKenna after 30 mins.

Following a line out steal Dolphin were awarded a penalty and Andrew Dorgan sucked the defence in after the lineout and found Alex Denby who was in space. He crossed into the 22, committed the defender, and passed to his 2nd row partner Dave O’Mahony. The Club Captain broke the attempted  tackle and scored his sides 2nd try which was again converted by Flanagan.


Just before half time Old Crescent took their own lineout inside the Dolphin 22, a loose pass went to ground in the centre and Cillian Ansbro got his boot to it. He actually kicked in on 4 times before it went over the line and Conor Flanagan grounded it. He appeared to be at worst, in line with Ansbro, but the referee who in fairness was well positioned gave it as an offside.

HT 14-7

In the first minute or so, Kevin Allen took a ball on his own 10m and made 20m, Old Crescent got control of the ball, their clearance struck one of their own players resulting in them being penalised for holding on. Conor Flanagan extending the lead with a penalty.

Old Crescent reacted well and it looked as if their scrum half would score but somehow Dave O’Mahony and Andrew Dorgan not only got across to him, turned him on his back and prevented a score. Winger Eoin Murphy crossed near the post following a couple of scrums and the conversion reduced the deficit to 17-14.

As 60 minutes approached, the Dolphin lineout which had been going well malfunctioned and Old Crescent out half Ronan McKenna picked up a loose ball and crossed for a try. (17-19)

Old Crescent had another attack and prop Cathal O’Reilly came right through the ruck to score a try and this was quickly followed up by a try in the corner by Eoin Murphy and the conversion hit the post.

Dolphin were not done, Dave O’Mahony passed inside to Rob Readon, he found an opening and sold an audacious dummy to score under the posts. Alex Molloy on hearing there was 1m 40s left took the successful conversion by drop goal.

There was no time to get back up the field to seek the draw and once they got hands on the ball, Old Crescent put the ball into touch to end the game.

While we are out of the Munster Senior Cup, there was some very encouraging performances and many more in the squad to come into contention for places.

Dolphin Old Crescent
3 Tries 5
3 Conversions 3
1 Penalties 0
100% Kick Success 50%
 8/11 Scrums Won  8/10
9 Penalties Awarded 8
9 Linouts won 7
3 Lineouts Steals 1
2 Lineouts Lost 3
Crooked Lineouts 1
14 12
1 Forward Pass 0
1 Free Kicks against 0